The National CERT actively participated in the Fourth Regional Conference „Risks of the New Age: Sustainability and Resilience“, which took place on June 1, 2023 in the Hyatt Hotel in Belgarde. On that occasion, the National CERT took part in a panel titled „Cybersecurity“, also attended by the representaives of the Financial CERT and telecommunication company A1, where a discussion was held about most common types of cyber attacks and their impact on the businesses in Serbia. Some of the topics discussed at the panel were:
- For a second year in a row, cyber risks have been identified as a major threat on the list of business risks. Why?
- Does cyber crime intensify in the time of crisis?
- Why are Serbian companies increasingly targeted?
- Most frequent and most costly cyber frauds (social engineering) and how to recognize them?
- Cyber attacks on IT systems – ways of prevention, defense and recovery.
According to an Allianz risk research, cyber incident risks have been on the top of the list of business threats for a second year in a row, emphasizing the importance of cybersecurity. This study has been carried out since 2012. Whether it involves hacker attacks on a system or a system „intrusion“ due to the lack of human attention, or whether it be data theft or business interruption, it has been causing a constantly increasing average loss per company, reaching 4.35 million dollars of damage in 2022. The panel pointed to a growing number of social engineering attacks, among which phishing and ransomware, whereby the attacker, after an unauthorized access to resources, locks the victim’s valuable data, claiming a ransom. As a conclusion, it was explained how to detect a phishing attack in an environment of an ever- increasing use of artificial intelligence.